Lemnos

earth clock / earth clock less

design : Takenobu Igarashi

The earth clock is the reproduction of the original classic, the Ball clock, that Takenobu Igarashi designed for OUN in 1987.

There are two styles of the clock face and two colors of the clock body (black and white). Two variations are available, one has grooving on the clock surface and the other is in the form of a smooth sphere.

At that time when he started to design clocks, he noticed that he had never seen a clock with a spherical shape. The sphere shape makes us imagine the earth. The ocean, which covers 70% of the earth, is expressed on the clock body. The remaining 30%, the land where we live, is expressed on the clock face covered by a transparent dome.

On the clock face that symbolizes the land, the one end of the second hand looks like it is chasing the other end. Looking at this clock may lead us to lose track of time.

earth clock / earth clock less

-earth clock
TIL16-10 BK
black

-earth clock
TIL16-10 WH
white

-earth clock less
TIL19-09 BK
black

-earth clock less
TIL19-09 WH
white

TIL16-10

Size
w100 × h100 × d100mm
Weight
465g
Material
Aluminum, ABS resin, Acrylic
Specification
Sweep Second

TIL19-09

Size
w100 × h100 × d100mm
Weight
470g
Material
Aluminum, ABS resin, Acrylic
Specification
Sweep Second

【Craftsmanship】~sharpened craftmanship~
The body of the earth clock is manufactured using a traditional sand-casting technique in Takaoka city, Toyama. Since the surface shape cannot be repaired once it has been cast, high-level accomplishment is required for the cast-metal object itself. Moreover, cutting to such a limited shape is performed on a lathe after precise preparation. The beautiful form is realized by the experience and expertise of skilled craftsmen.

Takenobu Igarashi

Takenobu Igarashi is a sculptor and a designer. As a graphic designer he has so far created a calendar for the Museum of Modern Art in New York using axonometric projection, three dimensional logo types and VI design for Suntory Hall Japan and Calpis Japan, as well as OUN & YMD products. His works are highly respected worldwide. In 1994, Takenobu Igarashi started his career as a sculptor. Many public art items have been produced using materials such as wood, stone, metal, terra cotta and stained glass. He is also an Emeritus Professor at Tama University of Arts in Japan.

The Related Products